Monday, January 4, 2010

2010

The holidays were absolutely wonderful!!! And packed with activities that obviously did not involve updating my blog (woops!).

December was the month of Double Dates. (Pictures to come). First, we doubled with my friend Shannon and her boyfriend-ish-erson, Nate. We went to Winger's, which is always awesome, and then we came back to our apartment and made sugar cookies and frosted them with Christmas themes. My favorite was when Shannon tried to put buttons on her snowman but it turned into a big red splotch, so she added some red to the ground and then Nate frosted a Santa Claus with a gun pointed at the snowman and we created a morbid Christmas scene.

Our second excursion was down to Provo to hang out with my bestest friend since 3rd grade and her husband, aka. Colleen and Derek. It was nice to escape the Salt Lake snowstorms and cross the mountain into non-standstill traffic. We started out at Wal-Mart where we picked out some ice cream and showed off our favorite gangsta rap dance moves. We then went to Colleen and Derek's place to make ice cream sculptures. C&D made a tranformative piece that started out as a Christmas tree and slowly morphed into a volcano until it ended up in Derek's Tummy that I'm sure turned into ice cream hangover and regret. Nate and I went a more non-holiday route and did Darth Vader. It pretty much rocked. This led to the watching of Star Wars dance-offs on YouTube and mucho laughter and inside jokes. To cap off the night, we played a little anagrams with one of C&D's presents and ended up taking the work FAMILY into all sorts of realms of hilarity.

A couple of days later Nate and I traipsed to Chinese Food and Temple Square with Jake and Kristen, some friends from our mission. The food at Wok King was amazing and this cute little girl was our little hostess. Temple Square was fun since I didn't get to see it last year. They added a Nativity to the middle of the reflective pool and bubble lights and they moved the international nativities to a more visible area. I always have a million memories of high school flood back to me whenever I go to see the lights because we practically lived down there in the winter when we had nothing to do. After the lights we all came back to mine and Nate's place and had hot chocolate and good conversation. Jake and Kristen always make me feel like an adult and that's not an easy task.

We spent the holidays with family and our new Wii we got from Santa. I gave Nate's brother, Jake, a Red Ryder BB Gun that was the envy of all the brothers. He's lucky that he even got it because Nate and I really wanted to keep it for ourselves. AND Nate received Brian Regan's last two DVD's and now we can't stop quoting him or talking like him.

New Year's Eve was ever-exciting as Nate and I stayed home and played some board games we got from our wedding. FYI, I still don't have the attention span to play Monopoly even after 13 years. It was cool to watch the Sigourney Weave marathon that was apparently on TV (Alien, Aliens, and Galaxy Quest) since we had just seen her in AVATAR in 3D, which is a beautiful movie, by the by. New Year's Day we went down to Nate's oldest sister's house and played RockBand and Wii Fit with their family. I'm really glad we can't afford either of those because I'm already addicted to Wii Sports and it's not nearly as cool.

And finally, this weekend I hung out with Nate's sister-in-law (or my sister-in-law once removed?), Heidi, at Color Me Mine in Ogden. I don't have my piece back yet, but I'm amazing so just picture an amazing bowl. I had a blast. I don't know their family very well because they lived in Nebraska the whole time Nate and I were dating. The time I have spent with them, Heidi has been hilarious and I thought I should get some more of that. Plus, she bought me some Farr ice cream and we walked around Ogden's Christmas Village. At one point, there was a woman who stopped and asked me what my shirt said (it said, "I am my own hero.") and she started laughing and yelled out that I was beautiful...she appeared to been under the influence of some sort of drugs or alcohol at the time, but that just made the whole thing even funnier.

And yesterday, I became the incubator for a fully blown head cold that has made it almost impossible to sleep or breathe. I've had to resort to sleeping on the couch in an upright position to keep my sinuses under control. And that's my life right now. As soon as I find our memory card adaptor I'll post pics of all these fun adventures. In the meantime, I hope you all feel better than I do right now. I'm going to go collapse.

3 comments:

Trish said...

Sounds like good times! I miss you girl! Maybe by the time we next come to visit Utah you'll have your new baby and then our kiddos can meet!

Bethany said...

Your Cute Ash! Heidi came over for a few after your outing. I made a sarcastic remark about not inviting me ;) and she said I know we couldn't believe we met in Ogden and didn't invite the Sis in law that lives in Ogden. I just laughed " ) Jace has been sick so I may not have gone anyway, though, I am totally down for going another time " ) That is if your agreeable. ;)

Mindi said...

I can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like a lot of fun.