I was pulling into the parking lot at school when the announcer on the radio came on saying, the second tower of the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I had no idea what had happened earlier so I listened for a few minutes to see if there was any more information. When I walked into the building, the halls were empty and quiet. I walked into Mr. McOmie's AP Chemistry class and everyone was silently watching the TV. I could see smoke billowing from the buildings. I remember that someone mentioned going to war and I started thinking of my friends that were about to turn 18 and wondering if any of them would end up being involved in it. It was a scary thought. It was a frightening day.Nate was going to school. His sister was driving and they were listening to a CD. When they picked up her friend and she told them to turn on the radio. They heard that a plane had crashed into the first tower and they weren't sure if it was an accident or a terrorist attack. Then when they were almost to the school they heard that the second plane had hit the other tower. He went inside the school and because it was Tuesday, school didn't start for another hour. He and a friend went into an empty classroom and watched as the first tower fell. In his teenage mind he thought it was pretty cool until he saw the tower collapse and realized how tragic the situation was. The bell for the first class rang and before he had reached his classroom and the teacher turned on the TV, the second tower had collapsed.
For days afterward there were non-stop news reports and in the following months came story after story of the heroes and victims of the 9/11 attacks. One that always stayed with me was the story of two best friends, one Christian and the other Jewish. They both worked in the towers and the Jewish friend was in a wheelchair. When the plane hit the building, they tried to evacuate the building, but the friend in the wheelchair was too big to carry. And so his friend stayed with him. They called their wives and said goodbye. Moments later, the tower collapsed.
All day today we have been trying to remember what was lost and what was gained that day. 3,000 people were killed and countless others affected. To me, the nation was never more united than the months that followed. I am sad to see that it didn't last. But I try to remember what it was like and I hope to share it with my children in the very least that they might understand how quickly the world can change and, even though it will take a long time, there is always an opportunity to heal.
No comments:
Post a Comment