Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How's the wedding planning going?

A couple of thoughts. The word wedding is a weird noun. I mean, to wed is a verb, although we don't use it often. "I am going to wed on June twenty-sixth," is a weird, but grammatically correct, sentence. It makes more sense use forms of the verb to marry, but no one asks you how marriage is going when you're going to get married because that would indicate that you are already married and have been trying it out for a while. Which brings me to the question I get asked so often nowadays, "How is the wedding planning going?" Well, wedding would be the present progressive form of the verb "to wed," right? But we can't say, "I am wedding Nathan on June 26th" because even though it follows the rules, it makes no sense. So, when someone asks about wedding planning, I don't know how to respond because my brain goes straight to how odd it is to have two gerunds right next to each other. And when they add going it makes me even more confused. I have less trouble when someone asks how the wedding plans are going because I am, in fact, planning to wed Nathan, although the only thing I have to do to actually wed him is show up at the temple with a marriage license and a temple recommend. I guess the preferred question would be to ask how the wedding reception plans are going. But no one ever asks it like that, do they?

The plans for...whatever...are going well. So far, I've just tried to reserve all the people that I want to do things for the the day that I want them to do them. LoL. Do you like how I just went off about my grammar gripes and then I wrote that sentence. My biggest concern was getting good photographers before anything else and I'm pretty pleased with the ones I've gone with. My wedding pictures are going to be done by Creative Juice Photography which is two of my friends friends, Christi and Jessi. They're from Hawaii (mostly) and they are so much funHopefully we'll be getting my bridal gown and measuring it for alterations tomorrow. My goal is to get a cake person and a flower place in the next week. I'll let you know when I've made some decisions, but I've got a pretty good idea of the places that I want. Then I'll have all of next month to worry about bridesmaids and flower girls and tuxes and decorations.

Speaking of cakes, my mom and I have recently become obesessed with a show called "Ace of Cakes." You can look up their stuff on YouTube. They are AMAZING. But my mom is saddened that I want a boring normal cake instead of a thematic and dramatic one all the way from Baltimore. (Or as the locals call it, B-More).

So that's how the wedding planning is going.

No comments: