Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Last Name

I've spent quite a bit of time today looking up my last name because I'm absolutely convinced that it has to have some sort of meaning. There's a couple of theories. Here's the progress I've made so far.

  1. My earlier research has led me to believe the name comes from Finland. Mostly because there is a Finnish company that is named Sokkia and a town called Nokia. There is also a cell phone by that name whose company is based in Finland.
  2. The town Nokia has a couple of theories of what their name means. One is that it is the plural of "noki" which means "soot" (which is funny because my first name means from the ash tree meadow so by that meaning, I would be Ashy Soot). More likely it comes from an older word "nois" which means sable, a dark furry creature suitable for hunting. Oddly enough they have now come to believe that sables never actually were in Nokia, Finland, but that they gave the wrong name to beavers.
  3. Operating under the same deductive reasoning, I tried the words "soki" and "sois" in a Finnish to English dictionary. The closest I came was the word "isoisa" which means grandfather. So, we could be a bunch of grandfathers. Interesting tidbit, in Spanish "sois" is the plural verb for "you are" in formal style. Mixing the two languages our name would mean you are a bunch of grandfathers, making our name an appropriate trash-talking phrase.

On the other hand, my new last name is going to be "Gordon." The meaning of this name is pretty straightforward: a large fortification or a great hill. In French or Spanish it means REALLLLLY fat. And in Gaelic, it means "beloved." However, when you are polynesian, all of these definitions can be pretty much interchangeable.

No comments: