Monday, March 16, 2009

Some Poems...

I used to write ALOT of poems, but they are all hidden away in a notebook in my room since I stopped writing in my third year of college. I'm reading through a couple of them and I thought I'd start to share some just so I can feel validated in writing them in the first place. This one didn't have a title as it was a response to an e-mail poetry battle I was having at the time with my friends Mike Steed and Marie Hutchison.

I've been hearing through the grapevine
and the modem at my home
that my words have just not satisfied
that you want a REAL poem

Well, you see a poem is more than talent
It's inspiration and sweat
It's evaluating all life has
and what it holds for you, yet.
Some treasure the sappy moments
Others are jokes in rhyme
But little do the readers know
these poems took lots of time
Revisions of their visions
A line that just won't fit
A true poem not only has style
But conveys meaning behind it

In our overworked and fast paced world
The time passes too quickly
But even then anyone can write a poem
If they will take the time to see
The joy the world holds for them
The sorrow that it gaves
And refuse to be blinded to anyone
who offers a unique perspective

So, my friends, keep your ears open
And let your ears hear it all
But only keep that which is good
Or, more than likely, you will Fall
Remember this advice you've received
From this little Ghetto Poe
The truth will only come to those
Who have the courage to WANT to know.

No comments: