
That is a bungee run. A bungee is attached to yours and your opponents backside and you are given a beanbag with velcro on it. On the mark, get set, Go! You run as far as you can and see who places their bean bag farthest on the velcro strip in the middle before being snapped back by the bungee. If it helps you to visualize, I was on the left hand side. Before the race had begun, I heard someone mention that if you jump forward at the last second you can get your beanbag a little farther. Brilliant, right? We raced, I jumped forward and placed my beanbag on the velcro strip and am promptly snapped backwards by the bungee...only it didn't snap me back very far and when I fell backward, my Sideshow Bob Ponytail wrapped itself around the still taught bungee so that everytime I attempt to sit up, it pulls my hair. I lie there yelling (and laughing), "Help Me!" but no one can hear me except for Brennan (my opponent) who is trying to reach over and help but everytime he does, his bungee snaps him back and he has to start over. LoL. Rinse and repeat about three times. I was eventually saved, in case you were worried.
Last one. Sweetheart's Dance. 2002. Much to my sorpresa, my best friend Robbie Scharman (pronounced like the toilet paper) did not get asked to the dance. Despite my protests against a formal dance where the girl has to ask and pay ON TOP of getting a dress, I asked him to go with me. (Sidenote, I could do a an entire book alone on funny/weird/awkward things that have happened and still happen to Robbie and me). I went to pick him up and his mom insisted we take pictures and midway between photo shoot she asks me "Do you wear thongs in winter?" I replied, "Yes?" and to this day pray that she was talking about flip-flops. At the dance, neither Robbie or I were fans of slow-dancing so during the slow songs we would sit at the tables and read fortune cookies to each other. He read one that said, "You are filled with charm and patience." Which I thought he said, "You are filled with Scharman patience" and was awestruck that his name was in a fortune cookie. This misunderstanding led to a really funny inside joke about toilet paper for people who are constipated. THE REAL PART of the story that I wanted to share with you follows. THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED. You can ask anyone who was there. Robbie and I are out on the dance floor when the opening notes to "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor comes on and Robbie and I both shout, "I love this song!" I start lip-synching the opening lines and on the part where it says, "I could never live without you by my side," I point to Robbie who, in turn, looks around, points to himself and mouths, "Me?" and I proceed to come at him accusingly to the following lines, "But then I spent so many nights just thinking how you did me wrong/and I grew strong/ and I learned how to get along" while he backed away slowly to my advances. Then on the part where the music picks up right at "Now you see me" I pointed to Robbie again at which point he starts dancing to the music and following me as I walk away to "somebody new" and a back and forth dance moment straight out of a musical proceeded to take place for the rest of the song while the rest of the students in the auditorium stopped and watched us in awe and wonder. It totally looked coreographed (think "You're the One That I Want" from Grease). And that was how I became famous.
In conclusion, I've lived a good life. Now, Kristine, how would you like to become famous?
No comments:
Post a Comment